Tuesday 8 April 2014

A novelist's duty


'The first duty of the novelist is to entertain. It is a moral duty. People who read your books are sick, sad, travelling, in the hospital waiting room while someone is dying. Books are written by the alone for the alone.' ~ Donna Tartt


I read this quote in an article by Amanda Patterson on the "Writers Write" Facebook page. I'm not a novelist (yet)... Well, I'm more of a "wannabe novelist", who has been forever trying to finish her first (maybe last?) novel. But I guess it doesn't matter, does it? I write stories, and I have a blog. And I stongly believe that EVERYTHING I write should be entertaining. By entertaining I mean: funny, touching, spririt lifting, cheering, healing, educating, comforting. My writing should give hope; make people smile and laugh; help people to not get bored out of their minds while waiting for something; tell them about beautiful places and love stories; make their imagination wander, trying to picture my characters.

I remember reading in a lot of different articles that a if you write something and you think it's really good, you should be aware. I don't understand why. I don't write only to my readers. I also write to myself. I sometimes laugh while writing my stories, usually because I remember the situation which inspired me. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's like, for example, having an Italian restaurant.  I'll serve pasta, which I really love and know how to cook well. So, if you like faggots and peas, you'd better go to the restaurant next door. I hate faggots and if I had to cook it, I wouldn't be able to taste it. I can't even imagine a mess I'd make of it! I'd probably be sick, and  the whole experience would make my confidence disappear. Not good, is it?

So, I love reading chick lit (and crime books, though I don't think I'd be able to write one). And most of my stories (and my unfinished novel) have a heroine somewhere, trying to find "The One" and bumping into all sorts of "Wrong Ones". This is what I promise my readers to deliver. If you like to read scy-fy, you won't like my stories, or my novel. 

But if you like chick lit, stick with me. Tomorrow I'll do a "relaunch" of the beginning of my novel, and I'd really appreciate your comments, sugestions, critique. That's where my "write to my readers" part comes in!

Thanks for dropping by and hope to see you tomorrow and the day after, and the day after...
Let's go to Napoli!!! 

Dani.


0 comments:

Post a Comment